Tuesday, October 4, 2011

"Beliefs about Families" by Mary Pipher

In the excerpt "Beliefs about Families" by Mary Pipher, we learn about the different types of families. First, the author mentions that a biological family is a family where you're tied by blood. However, not many people can actually they have biological family members and for that reason, the author mentions that usually people create new family within friends. Those who take the time to visit you when in need, or help you with any small situation are the one's who are your family because even though we all have biological families, they might be absent throughout our entire lives. Mary Pipher also mentions people in her life that she saw struggle and loose their biological families so they as well created their new family with friends or aunts and uncles. In addition, Pipher states that Americans hold two versions of family, the idealized and dysfunctional version. She goes in detail about the various types of cultures and how as years pass cultures and families change more and more but especially Americans. Hence, according to the author we live in a money driven culture which affects family. It is important  to find a family where one can be happy.

I really enjoyed reading this piece because i found it to be really informative to learn about the different types of families. I like that I was able to relate to it a lot because I have biological family who have not been here for me but yet I found a family within friends and those are the people that I see as my family. Also, it was good that the author included some of her personal experiences because I'm sure many where able to understand better her topic and idea of families by creating a connection just like I did. I didn't really understand when she began talking about all these culture and the effect but other then that I enjoyed reading "Beliefs about Families."

1 comment: